The Project Delphinium framework draws upon a variety of well established and emerging technologies.
Building on success
- PHP - PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited to web development
- MySQL - MySQL is the world's most popular open source database
- Laravel - Laravel is the PHP framework for web artisans
- OctoberCMS - OctoberCMS is a developer centric CMS, the platform that gets back to basics
- Web 2.0 - Delphinium includes all the latest web technologies including Bootstrap, jQuery, D3, Font Awesome, LESS, REST, and much more
A framework for hosting gamification components
- Delphinium - Delphinium is an OctoberCMS plug-in that hosts the configuration interfaces for Delphinium components
- LTI Config - LTI Config is a Delphinium component that manages the LTI 1.1 handshake with host LMSs
- Roots - Roots is a Delphinium component that manages the API interactions with host LMSs and provides a data abstraction layer that makes Delphinium LMS agnostic
- Stem - Stem is a Delphinium component that adds meta data to LMS data including tags and hierarchy; stem data can be used by other components
- Xylem - Xylem is a Delphinium component that allows components to share data, interfaces, and roots requests with each other
- Other components - The following are examples of a growing list of gamification components supported by Project Delphinium
- Iris - Iris is a module interface that allows students to choose their path through content
- Progress Tracker - Orchid is a progress indicator showing students their course progress relative to passage of time and their peers
- Easter Eggs - Easter Eggs reward students with hidden features in the interface when they achieve enough points
- Stats - Stats tracks student achievements in the course
- Palm - Palm is a leaderboard displaying student rank in five tiers of progress
- Bird of Paradise - Bird of Paradise is a modules interface based on games like Angry Birds that indicates completion with stars
See the Showcase page for examples of our growing list of components and see the Roadmap page to see where we've been, what we are working on now, and where we are going.
Extending students' learning environment
Project Delphinium is designed extend modern LMSs using LTI and APIs. Currently the project focuses on adding gamification functionality to the Canvas LMS by Instructure.
- LTI 1.1 - Learning Tool Interoperability (LTI) is an LMS standard that allows third party extensions to enhance the learning environment
- APIs - Application Protocol Interface (APIs) allow third party tools to access an LMS's data structures and functions
Dramatically accelerating development
Project Delphinium includes a component generator to complete 65% of the coding for a new component with the click of a button! This includes configuring the component to comply with all Delphinium developer guidelines, key interface elements, and database initialization. In addition, OctoberCMS includes tools like Builder and Developer Tools to increase productivity and simplify development.